Back in November my office was super cold. Like in 50’s cold. I started wearing my hat, fingerless mitts and a scarf while I worked. The scarf is a crescent shape and wraps quite nicely. One of my coworkers asked me if I was wearing a cape. The answer was sadly no but I thought it was a brilliant idea. Only I wanted something that looked goth and frumpy. I found a pattern for a hexagon shaped shawl that is very cape like.
I knit about 15 rows in November and then they fixed the heat. So it sat in the WIP pile until I picked it back up again in January and finished it. Pattern is Plume and the yarn used is Bluemoon Fiber Arts Socks that Rock lightweight.
After I completed that I cast on a new shawl.
Pattern is Lefie, yarn is the leftovers from a few other projects. BMFA Socks that Rock lightweight in Black Onyx, Deep Unrelenting Grey and “True Blood” Red. I hate weaving in ends, but I like how the pattern was designed with left overs in mind. It is very clever.
I am also halfway done with a scarf:
This is for a friend of mine to coordinate with a hat I already gave her. Pattern is Lovely Leaf Lace Scarf, yarn is knit picks palette doubled. I think I am going to end up using about 5 balls worth of yarn for this one.
I am also working on a pair of fingerless mitts.
I need to block the mitts, get buttons, sew on the buttons and weave in the ends. They need 28 tiny buttons. I don’t think I am going to finish these any time soon.
I finished three knitting projects and frogged a sock the week.
First project – sport weight socks. They are a little tight in the foot and the cast on edge should be a tad looser, but they are still wearable. I tried to match the stripes, but it didn’t quite work out. These were practice for a few techniques I haven’t tried so I am pretty happy that they are wearable. I was convinced I was going to end up with complicated knitted tangle that did not resemble wearable socks.
Second project – Nightlock Shawl in two of my favorite colors. I bought the pattern here. I am super happy with the finished item and really enjoyed knitting it. I like the designers aesthetic and will be making more of her patterns.
Third project – a scarf. I liked knitting this, but I am probably never going to wear it. If anyone wants it let me know! Otherwise it’s going to goodwill.
I also frogged a sock I started last year. I went to work on it, but couldn’t find my notes. I should really try to be more of a monogamous knitter to avoid situations like that.
Last summer, I participated in a mystery knit a long. Every few weeks a new “clue” was released. I know that pattern was for a shawl, I didn’t realize I was going to end up with something UGLY. So I finished knitting it, and it sat lingering in the WIPs pile until last Friday when I decided I would block it and weave in the ends.
Blocking is magic and can drastically improve the look of a project. It helps to even out stitches and makes lace look wonderful. Blocking didn’t help much. It just looked like a well knit shawl of ugly when I was done. Everyone I showed it to agreed that it was ugly and tried to make suggestions how to improve it. Most of the suggestions involved more knitting or killing it with fire. I am done knitting this project so in a last ditch effort to save the project I dumped it in the dye pot with a whole lot of kool aid.
Over dying helped, but the stupid thing is still ugly. Attempts to photograph the results were challenging. Loki felt like he was being ignored and he kept jumping on me.
Or maybe he was trying to censor me.
I have been really, really bad about blogging. Summer is always super busy and I just moved so there has not been a lot of time for crafting.
I knit a few squares on my blanket, a few rows on a shawl and stitched a few inches on a cross stich sampler.
I hope to finish my Rockefeller shawl next. Neons are now trendy and this project is hot pink and black.
I am now mostly unpacked so there will be more time for crafting soon.
Several of my WIPS were close to completion, so I thought I would spend some time on them. It paid off and now I have more finished projects:
1. Holden Shawlette by Mindy Wilkes. Started 10/31/2010 and I finished knitting it 7/1/2011. It sat in a pile waiting patiently for blocking. This was a super easy knit and I loved using the yarn. It’s Handmaiden Mini Maiden 50/50 wool/silk.
2. Traveling Woman shawl by Liz Abinante. Started 5/22/2011 finished knitting it 7/7/2011. Sat in the same pile waiting for blocking and weaving in of ends. Blocked and wove in the ends on 4/17/2013. Knit from Knitpicks Felici in the Rainbow colorway.
3. Bigger on the Inside shawl by Kate Atherley. Started 4/23/2012 finished knitting it 4/14/2013. I stashed this in my desk at work and worked on it during breaks.
Now I am down to 20 WIPS!