Monthly Archives: February 2014

Cape Cold and other projects

Back in November my office was super cold. Like in 50’s cold. I started wearing my hat, fingerless mitts and a scarf while I worked. The scarf is a crescent shape and wraps quite nicely. One of my coworkers asked me if I was wearing a cape. The answer was sadly no but I thought it was a brilliant idea. Only I wanted something that looked goth and frumpy. I found a pattern for a hexagon shaped shawl that is very cape like.

Plume Cape

I knit about 15 rows in November and then they fixed the heat. So it sat in the WIP pile until I picked it back up again in January and finished it. Pattern is Plume and the yarn used is Bluemoon Fiber Arts Socks that Rock lightweight.

After I completed that I cast on a new shawl.

Leftie shawl

Pattern is Lefie, yarn is the leftovers from a few other projects. BMFA Socks that Rock lightweight in Black Onyx, Deep Unrelenting Grey and “True Blood” Red. I hate weaving in ends, but I like how the pattern was designed with left overs in mind. It is very clever.

I am also halfway done with a scarf:

Grey lace scarf

This is for a friend of mine to coordinate with a hat I already gave her. Pattern is Lovely Leaf Lace Scarf, yarn is knit picks palette doubled. I think I am going to end up using about 5 balls worth of yarn for this one.

I am also working on a pair of fingerless mitts.

Spatterdash need blocking

 

I need to block the mitts, get buttons, sew on the buttons and weave in the ends. They need 28  tiny buttons. I don’t think I am going to finish these any time soon.

 

A Tale of Two Hats

About a week ago a friend of mine mentioned she needed a new hat, scarf and gloves. So we worked out a trade and I agreed to knit a hat and scarf. She sent me a link of an example of the style hat she liked. I found a pattern, knit a swatch and then cast on a hat. I finished knitting it a few day ago and washed/blocked it Wednesday night.

Slouchy HatI am not happy with how it turned out. It is wearable if the brim is folded up (which has the added benefit of making it super warm). But is doesn’t fit the desired specifications of the wearer. It was supposed to be slouchy, but it ended up too structured. So I cast on for a second hat. The first hat used two needles sizes – a US 5 for the brim and a US 7 for the rest of the hat. I am going to use a US 5 and US 8 and make some other tweaks. It should work a lot better.

The scarf should be less complicated.

 

Sea Monster Sunday: Nessie

I knitted myself a Nessie! While technically not a sea monster, it still is rarely sighted and comes from the deep dark depths of my stash. I started in July and finished her this weekend while watching episodes of the X-Files.

Nessie Headshot photo

She is a pretty good sized stash monster too. From nose to tip of the tail is a bit longer than a standard keyboard. I am think about sticking a pipe cleaner down the neck and tail so I can pose her better.

Nessie Body shot photo

Pattern was a bit unclear and tricky in some places, but I am not too worried about having an anatomically incorrect knitted lake monster.